REVIEW OF RE-START OF FIXTURES

The League Management Committee (LMC) will review whether league fixtures can be resumed in two weeks’ time.

The review will take place on Wednesday, December 16 to coincide with the Government’s review of the tier system in England and we will work towards a provisional restart date of Saturday 19th December 2020 but this would be conditional on the Government recognising the falling rate of infections in the region and placing the vast majority of clubs under Tier Two restrictions.

Clubs have been contacted today and informed that the earliest that fixtures can resume is Saturday, December 19.  This is to allow them to prepare as best they can for any resumption of fixtures, but the decision on the resumption will be made on the 16th.

The FA has also agreed that the season can be extended to May 28.

Clubs were asked to complete a questionnaire about the way forward for the league and following a 90% response, the results were:

  1. – Our club supports the decision of the LMC to delay the restart of competition fixtures for two weeks beyond the 2nd December 2020 because of the Tier Three restrictions placed on 92.5% of clubs in the league by the Government.

100% of clubs agree with LMC decision

  1. – Playing fixtures without spectators and with clubhouses closed (Tier Three) is not financially viable for our club.

94% of clubs agree that it’s not financially viable for them to play without spectators and with clubhouses closed

  1. – Playing fixtures with spectators and with clubhouses closed (Tier Two) is not financially viable for our club.

72% of clubs agree that it’s not financially viable for them to play with spectators but still have clubhouses closed

  1. – The FA’s stated priority is to finish the 2020/21 season to allow promotion and relegation to take place, either through completion of the season or by a mathematical formula. How important a priority is this for your club in the current climate ?

Mixed results with 25% believing it was very important, 36% somewhat important and 39% not important at all but can be closely linked to a club’s current position

  1. – A survey of our clubs, before the start of the current season, overwhelmingly indicated that if the season couldn’t be completed that they would be prepared to accept points per game as a method of deciding promotion and relegation should more than 75% of games have been decided but otherwise the season should be null and void. Do you still support this position ?

86% of clubs still believe that at least 75% of games should be played before promotion and relegation can be decided.

  1. – The LMC’s main priority for the season is to ensure that all forty clubs are able to survive the current pandemic, with all its financial implications and be in a position to continue beyond the end current season and have a sustainable future. Does your club believe that this should be our major priority in what are very difficult times?

97% of clubs agree this should be the LMC’s priority

  1. – How well do you believe your club’s interests, in these difficult and unprecedented times, have been represented in decisions made by the LMC.

92% of clubs believe that their interests have been very well or quite well represented in decisions made by the LMC but 3% believe that they have been poorly or very poorly represented by the governing body.

  1. – How well do you believe your club’s interests, in these difficult and unprecedented times, have been represented in decisions made by the FA.

39% of clubs believe that their interests have been very well or quite well represented in decisions made by the FA but 47% believe that they have been poorly or very poorly represented by the governing body.

  1. – How well do you believe your club’s interests, in these difficult and unprecedented times, have been represented in decisions made by your local County FA.

36% of clubs believe that their interests have been very well or quite well represented in decisions made by the FA but 42% believe that they have been poorly or very poorly represented by their county association

  1. – How confident is your club of surviving beyond the current season and having a sustainable future post Covid-19.

While 83% are very confident or confident of surviving the current season quite worryingly the other 17% have some worries over their future.